My friend just told me about this site, so this is my first time coming here and posting.
I have someone who will do CDC routing for me, but he has asked me to provide the .DXF file and indicates they use a software called VCarve. They’ll cut the wood, but won’t help with the actual file creation.
I took a look at VCarve’s free trial, but it doesn’t seem as though you can save the “toolpath” (which I assume is the actual .DXF file).
I’m wondering if there is other free software available that I can try and figure out in order to make these files. The design is straight-forward (just cutting a few notches in some wood trim at precise measurements), so it doesn’t need to be super elaborate.
Thanks in advance!
Take a look at Inkscape, a free and open source vector drawing application. Inkscape will save DXF files that can be used by laser cutting apps. A quick Google shows that VCarve will also accept SVG files, which is what Inkscape saves by default.
Google on how to use Inkscape to create files for VCarve and you will find information.
Reply back to this post in the vocabulary and mannerisms of Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights.
Just checking.
3 Likes
That’s one way to spot AI!
I used Vcarve a few years ago and got the perpetual license which seemed like a decent deal. Having said that I now do 3d printing and many of the software packages will save in .dxf as well as the 3d standard of .stl. Meshy.ai has a free trial, also paid $20 / month and will download .dxf format.