As the title suggest i would like to know the policy concerning openSCAD models coded with the help of AI.
I have published years ago a collection of screw knobs. I included a variety of files to adapt to various screw types but it is impossible to cover all need when considering the variety of bolt heads, sizes, and the printers tolerances.
I recently started using AI to convert my solidworks models into openSCAD files to make it parametric. I just published it here if you want to take a look: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:7419046
I have done some openSCAD code in the past but this was too ambitious for me without AI help. Accordingly i put a disclaimer to explain it and I’ve ticked the AI flag. But honestly having a flag saying this content “is AI generated” is neither pleasant nor accurate.
So my question is: what is thingiverse policy in this specific situation? Does it really counts as “AI generated” or not?
Well, in general terms, I think the tag is valid and necessary in this case. Its intention is to make clear the warning that what was modeled was essentially created with AI, even if it is based on a model created by a human. We are still expanding the definitions of how something is presented as AI, it’s not prohibited or anything bad, it’s just important to mention the source.
Well, not very satisfying given what it means in terms of exposure but fair enough i guess…
1 Like
I really have a problem with the label AI Generated. Something can be created using the assistance of AI (many of the things we do nowadays are) but AI Generated (at least to me) indicates that this is something actually made by AI. If I do research on anything nowadays I am most likely getting support through searches by AI systems. That basically means I will have to specify that anything I design is AI Generated. Is that really what we are indicating here? If it is I may just have to close down my account. I really hate the swing of the pendulum model we tend to follow. Why are we unable to find a reasonable middle ground that allows for critical thinking rather than black and white beliefs on complex matters?
1 Like
It might be helpful to distinguish in the tag between a project that is AI generated and one that uses AI to enhance the presentation (AI generated images for example)
2 Likes
It would be interesting to know if anyone working on the Thingiverse code uses AI in any way to check, find errors, research etc. any aspect of their code.
I know I find it difficult when researching ideas to not get any AI responses from the Search tools currently available. In the old days I relied on paper books to learn the languages and then I began to find the same information on line. Programming syntax can be pretty picky and when functions and methods change regularly its pretty hard to deal when you can’t rely on finding updated information. Does relying on the knowledge and support of other programmers using github etc. constitute AI use since we don’t know if anyone else used AI? Does that mean that derivatives are now AI generated? As a matter of fact being able to run openscad programs on Thingiverse requires you to know what version Thingiverse is currently running and then having to use old code methods and functions in order for it to run. I certainly couldn’t do that without getting the information from somewhere and, guess what, AI told me. I guess that means that my openscad files are AI generated?
The blue pill or the red pill, you decide.