Help to produce a trauma therapy tool

Hi there, I am a trauma and mental health Therapeutic practitioner in schools. I have thought of an implement that could really help young people but don’t have the skills needed to produce it. Could someone please help?I have produced a quick concept AI image…and that is the end of my skills in this area haha it is a primary Emotion graphic equaliser. It could work to be a powerful metaphor, visual processing tool and communication tool

2 Likes

Looks like you already have it designed by AI or is it just a brochure that was created using AI?

The concept is pretty simple but I am not sure that a snap together printed unit would survive the daily handling. Some of the parts may need to use fasteners to hold it together.

Has AI already created the STLs or cad model or is that something you need help doing?

Do you have access to the school’s 3D printers? Are there students using CAD programs that could be involved in the design of the prototype? Does you school(s) have any tech classes that do design work that might be able to help you? A project like this is great for students to help them use their skills to create useful, real world items especially if it helps their peers.

One thing that does jump out is that the dimensions are 90x60 but most of the images look closer to square. Maybe that’s a distortion that AI used to fit the images into the available space? That type of thing is a real problem when it comes to designing the real thing.

this is 90w x 60l x 10h
maybe it should be 90x90?

2 Likes

I get the use of the sliders for the person to set how they are feeling but I don’t understand the knobs. Why is there a volume and why inside/outside? If inside outside is just a choice it should be an on off switch or toggle that displays the choice or do they say they want to be partially inside and partially outside?

I get the idea of sliders to define a position on a spectrum (maybe the top and bottom should be labelled differently) or a level for a single concept. For example, I understand a level of Fear or Rage going from 0 -10 but I don’t get Seeking, Panic/Grief (one slider to define 2 different things) or a care and play using a level slider to identify the feeling or desire.

2 Likes

I designed a bayonet style mixer slider for someone else on this forum that you could probably use as the sliders. All they would need would be a small collar on that back that could be glued in place after mounting the sliders into the face plate. They would hold them in the proper location and allow them to slide in the slot. The face plate and the collars could have some serrations that would give the sliders some tactile feedback.

its a little large for your design but you can scale it in the slicer.

You could also do something along these lines

I would just be cautious to not make it seem to be more of a fidget (adding a set of different manipulators,) unless that is its purpose. You may find that information may be inaccurate if it is perceived as a fidget tool rather than a trauma therapy tool.

If you wanted to get fancy and include batteries you could have lighted switches.

2 Likes

Hi Ksihota. Thank you for your time and consideration already. We do have access to a couple of 3d printers but not any capacity or skills to actually develop a workable design. So far I have only produced that concept image using AI and few other important features, such as, as you suggested a scale of 1-10, the sliders clicking, possibly a tactile stop on 5 and similar on the knobs.

To answer your questions of content. The whole thing is representative of Jak Panksepp’s primary emotional systems model as described in his boom Archaeology Pf Tge Mind which gives its guiding principles to the Trauma Informed Schools model. Consequently it is important that the wording is specific as illustrated even it being in capitals. RAGE, FEAR, PANIC/GRIEF, CARE, PLAY and SEEKING. It is a huge and boring text but massively enlightening and informs most modern Neuroscience based Psychology. Offering young people accurate Pschoeducation is hugely valuable.

The knobs are more metaphorical essentially. Volume is actually more like Valence or Intensity of emotional state and Inside-Outside actually represents Interception and Exteroception so inside stimulus or outside stimulus.

I can forward the entire outlined design concept including titles and other phrases.

Again, thank you for your time.

:folded_hands:t2:

1 Like

I want it to be as simple as possible so other practitioners can produce them locally. Given that having the two horizontal sliders for additional information instead of the knobs is probably a good idea.

1 Like

So 8 sliders would work and since the titles are related to the research literature and these would be used with informed users. An outsider would not have to understand the terminology as they would not be interacting with the device. So the device would be used with clinicians rather than a student and a random teacher or other adult?

If this were to be used in a school situation where there may not be someone available to interpret the meanings I would strongly suggest that more commonly used language was used or at least sub texted to provide clear context for others. I would definitely use Intensity and Stimulus as headings with the upper sliders and use inside and outside at either end of the slider to indicate the Stimulus spectrum and maybe low and high with the Intensity spectrum.

My other concern is the size. 90x60 is about half the size of a cell phone. A business card is about 50mmx90mm

That would make the sliders very small. It also makes printing the parts more difficult unless you are using a 0.2 nozzle. It is possible with a small nozzle or using a resin printer but is that really the size you need?

Just for reference I have added the original slider set at its actual 20x20mm size so you can see the difference.

2 Likes

Yes it is aimed only to be employed by our qualified practitioner network or perhaps other well informed professionals. I thought of it as a wearable item on our lanyards with our name badges in the back. But it doesn’t have to utilised like that really.

1 Like

So the small size is what you want?

What would be maximum acceptable size?

This is a business card with a full sized slider on it
The other issue will be the text on the surface. Small text is difficult to do unless you are using a very small nozzle. It also makes the printing more difficult. it might be easier to have the labelling added as a cut vinyl overlay. It could be produced using a cricut or silhouette cameo vinyl cutter.

2 Likes

So really this is a tool that the therapist would have and would present to the child in order for them to mark their current emotional state, not something that a child would carry with them?

Precisely. Metaphorical check ins are our most commonly used tool but this could build on that self awareness.

1 Like

I will mock it up tomorrow at work from cardboard, we do have a cricut available too actually.

1 Like

I have the model basically complete other than knowing the smallest acceptable size.

3 Likes

120mm by 80mm would still be wearable as a lanyard I think. Would that be printable?

2 Likes

My printers currently have 0.4 nozzles so I am testing using them. If you have access to resin printers they are better for small accurate details. If you have a printer with a 0.2 nozzle that would also make a difference.

Is your idea still okay with 8 sliders?

What is the minimum distance they have to slide from top to bottom?

I am just checking out a tactile slide design to see if it will work at that size.

So in the end a 120x80 case with 8 sliders?
Is a thickness of 15 to 20mm okay?

I swapped out one of my printers and put in a 0.2 nozzle. Here is the slider printed using that nozzle

Here is the design prototype. I have not test printed it yet.

The back side allows you to insert an ID card 70x80mm with a readable area of 50x75mm

it is designed for a card and the inside of the case is exposed without the ID card. A blank card can always be used as a cover to close off the space. Its faster than 3D printing a cover for it but that can always be done as well. The back fastens on with some short flat head countersunk M3 bolts like these

but anything that fits is fine

The slider looks something like this and is made up of 2 parts. Th exposed slider part (red) and the spring back connector that needs to be fastened to the slider after its inserted into the case. The back connector has to be fastened to the slider. This could be done with a small screw, some glue or with a small extend end on the stem of the slider it could be melted flat with a soldering iron.

In order to see how the sliders actually work I would have to print a case and mount them. The test one works with tactile feedback but it is tiny and I have to hold the small frame and slider to to move it. I don’t want to bother if this setup is not going to work for you.

So all together:

Case (requires 4 x M3 fasteners)
1 x front piece
1 x backing plate

Sliders (8 required)
8 x slider
8 x spring connector

1 Like

I printed a test piece which is a little smaller than half the size of the full model. That’s a business card beside it.

The slider works but I didn’t put any grooves in the surface so it is too slippery an you can’t push it by pressing in the middle. You can push it from the edges. I am not sure if adding grooves would give it enough friction for your finger not to slide off. I printed in PETG so its pretty slippery

1 Like

I’m hugely impressed and grateful. And not at all worried about using mechanical fasteners, I did think that would probably be the case.

It looks amazing already. I can imagine what the issue is with the slippery sliders. Presumably the friction will reduce slightly with usage as well.

That looks exactly as I thought it might. So yes, very happy with this solution.

Can you give me the exact dimensions of the ID card that would slide into the back? I will have to adjust the window to fit it properly.

1 Like